Coaching is one of the most crucial factors in developing, sustaining and increasing participation in rugby union, securing the future and quality of the English game. To be an effective coach, you will need to fulfil a number of different roles, covering the technical, tactical, physical and mental aspects demanded by our game.
The RFU is committed to offering a world-leading coaching development service, from helping volunteers who want to coach junior tag rugby on a Sunday morning to assisting people who aim to reach a professional coaching standard.
The current RFU Coaching Children Rugby Union (Level 1) and Coaching the 15 a Side Game (Level 2) will be replaced by a single coaching award, the England Rugby Coaching Award. The current Refereeing the 15 a Side Game (Level 2) course will be replaced by a new refereeing course – the England Rugby Refereeing Award.
The new coaching award will be relevant for coaches working with U9 players and upwards and will be supported by a suite of CPD and Foundation courses to help develop coaches working with players of all ages.
The new refereeing award is aimed at those refereeing in the 15 a side game (U14+).
About the new England Rugby Coaching and Refereeing Awards
· The single coaching award will be a Level 2 qualification, which qualifies coaches to lead sessions – the previous Level 1 award qualified participants to assist other coaches.
· The course content and tasks on the course will be relevant to the age group the coach works with
· The new refereeing award becomes an accredited Level 2 qualification
· The Old Mutual Wealth Kids First Refereeing Children (Level 1) course will remain
· Participation in Rugby Ready and Scrum Factory will no longer be mandatory pre requisites for attendance on the coaching course, helping savings in cost and time to the coach
From 1st July 2017 Game Development will take the lead on the delivery of the RFU Safeguarding courses, ‘Play it Safe’ and ‘In Touch.’ Courses will be planned and delivered using the existing CPD and Foundation course protocols including candidates booking on via the online booking system
2017/18 Course Costs (including VAT):
· England Rugby Coaching Award – £150
· England Rugby Refereeing Award – £75
· Old Mutual Wealth Kids First Refereeing Children – £15
· CPD/Foundation Courses – £15
· Safeguarding – Play it Safe – £15
· Emergency First Aid in Rugby Union – £50
· Rugby Union in Secondary Schools – £40
RFU coaching courses
We have a range of practical and theoretical courses to cover these differing aspirations, offered in all parts of the country. For details please view all available course dates for levels 1-4.
Coaches can use the RFU Introduction To Rugby Booklet (PDF 2.8MB) to help inform themselves, parents and new players about the basics of rugby.
Coaching remains a valuable and rewarding way to get or stay involved in rugby union, and with an RFU qualification getting started as a coach is extremely straightforward. Want to go further? Click here to access your online Rugby Ready resource and exam, a prerequisite for an RFU coaching award course, which must be completed in conjunction with attending the face-to-face Rugby Ready course.
Online resources for coaches are also available here.
My Rugby Academy
My Rugby Academy is a valuable tool to help you reap the maximum benefits from our resources. By pinpointing your current level of coaching proficiency and identifying the next steps in your training path, including recommended RFU-supported courses, the Coaching Development Matrix will guide you in fulfilling your coaching potential.
Online course booking
The RFU online course booking system allows you to search by course type, region, postcode or date before booking and paying for your course.
Employment Status of Coaches: A Guide for Employers/Deployers and Coaches
Rugby clubs who are think of employing coaches or employing or deploying coaches on their behalf should read the attached document from sports coach UK:
All coaches who attend and achieve either a Level 1, 2, 3 or 4 qualification will be granted a coach licence – subject to a satisfactory Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check and their agreement to comply with the Coach Licence Terms and Conditions (PDF 116kB). Existing qualified coaches are invited to apply, free of charge, for a coach licence provided they meet the licence requirements.