The purpose of the U18 organisation is to put forward for the consideration of the Midlands U18 ‘aspirational pathway’ selectors boys who have represented the ‘districts’ of Greater Birmingham, Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire. Whilst it is hoped that players may develop their performance during the process it must be understood that the primary role is that of assessment at a moment in time rather than player development. (Please scroll down using the smaller scroll bar on the right for links to information, contacts and an outline of the process).
|Chairman of Selectors
& Team Manager
|Lead Coach||John Das-Guptaemail@example.com (that is l3 not 13)|
|Assistant Coach||Trevor Bufton||07814925568||HRDG-U18@hotmail.com|
|Assistant Coach||John Tibbettsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Assistant CoachAssistant Coach||Andrew McLellanKeiram Hallam||0780937471607769176306||Andrewemail@example.com@hotmail.com
A general outline of the assessment procedure
- The Counties (or ‘Districts’ as the RFU refer to them) of Greater Birmingham, Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire will hold their own assessment sessions in early to mid September in order to select a squad of 22 players.
- The Districts will meet on a Wednesday evening later in the month where each will play two matches, one of 20 mins ew and the other of 15 mins ew, against two of the other Districts.
- The players will be assessed based upon their performance in these matches. The assessors will consist of The Chairman of Selectors, the coaches and, where possible, a representative of each of the Districts. The Chairman reserves the right to co-opt other appropriate individuals as required.
- At the assessment meeting following the matches due consideration will be given to players who have previously represented North Midlands U18’s or above who were not able to be present due to injury but it is the norm that players must represent their District to be considered for North Midlands U18s.
- A large squad of some 30 to 40 players will be asked to attend a session, normally on the following Sunday. Further assessment based upon exercises, small side games and some short controlled match play will lead to a smaller squad being invited to attend a second session. Further sessions may be organized as required.
- North Mids are required to select match squads of 23 players to play against other CB (Constituent Body) sides from the Midlands. The current format is that matches take place on Sundays according to the RFU Age Grade Calendar. These matches are watched by the Midlands Assessors (a separate group of people from those involved with N Mids) who will name a squad to go forward into the Midlands assessment system.
- Following the Midlands procedures a team will be selected to play against teams from one or two of the other Divisions (North, London & South East, South West) from which a squad to represent what is currently known as ‘England Counties’ will be selected. A separate ‘elite’ England U18 side selected from players at the rugby academies also exists.