NORTH MIDLANDS RFU CENTENARY SEASON
To all Rugby Clubs of North Midlands RFU.
You will be aware that 2019 – 2020 is the Centenary Season. North Midlands have decided to adopt and support the Doddie Weir Motor Neurone Disease Charity “My Name’5Doddie Foundation”
We would invite all clubs within North Mids to join us in organising events and collecting money for this great charity. The Charity is about increasing people’s awareness of Motor Neuron Disease (MND) – it’s 5 main aims are;
- To raise funds to aid research into causes of MND
- To investigate potential cures for MND
- To make grants to individuals suffering from MND to enable them to live as fulfilled a life as possible
- To make a difference to the lives of those coping and battling with MND
- For Rugby Clubs and fundraisers to have fun in activities it chooses to support The Foundation
Just a few events already planned which all clubs are invited to attend and support
- Greater Birmingham RFU; Evening at “Hennessey’s” in Birmingham on 7thSeptember where the speaker will be Roger Uttley.
- Re-enactment of the first game NMRFU ever played against Edwardian FC on 8thSeptember at Edwardian’s Streetbrook Road ground.
- County wide Golf Competition – your club will be contacted with details about this shortly.
- Centenary Dinner at St Johns Hotel in Solihull on Saturday 20thJune 2020 where we will be presenting a cheque from NMRFU on behalf of all of the clubs to the Trustees of the Doddie Weir Foundation.
A few ideas for clubs to consider, Charity box on the bar, bucket collections at games, auctions at lunches/dinner, Burns Supper, World Cup breakfast, bike ride, fun run, raffles and other events you are happy with. For larger events we have access to speakers supporting The Foundation but would require a good lead in time to arrange. All money collected to come to North Mids. who have a dedicated bank account for The Charity.
The Centenary Committee have specialist promotional materialto decorate your club house for your function including pop ups, banners, Doddie, shirts, bow ties, headbands drinking glasses etc.
Keith and I will be only too happy to discuss with your committee any ideas give assistance/advice. We can visit your club and show you a video of Doddie talking about MND which is really inspirational-we are here to help.
BE PART OF THE CURE
Steve Guy, NMRFU Centenary Committee Chairman:
Tel: 07900 251091
Keith Skirving, NMRFU Centenary Season Charity Lead:
Tel: 07810 321056
“… to be told you have MND is devastating news, from the start I wanted to do something to help people who are going through the same as me. We are committed to helping finding a cure for this devastating disease, but also to helping people whose lives have been affected by MND” – Doddie Weir British and Irish Lion and Scotland