10/04/14 by Chris Sigsworth
|CHRIS Sigsworth, the RFU Rugby Development Officer for Birmingham, will be running the London Marathon on Sunday April 13 to raise funds for the RFU Injured Players Foundation.
Sigsworth has been in training for several months and will join the thousands of other runners on the streets of London with the aim of topping the £2,000 that he has already raised for the IPF.
“It’s been great to hear how so many clubs have so far supported Chris and donated. That’s the thing with rugby clubs, even though there are rivalries we are still one family and do look after each other. I would really ask clubs and players to support Chris and donate to the IPF” said Ben Smoldon of Sutton Coldfield, who is one of the IPF’s clients.
Smoldon broke his neck aged 17 playing for Sutton Coldfield Colts against Burton but he has since received valuable support from the IPF.
Smoldon has benefited from a number of vital home adaptations, support with transport, physiotherapy and a small grant which he and his wife used to pay for IVF. They now have four-year-old twin boys, Toby and Oliver.
More recently Smoldon received a specially-modified car costing £37,000.
“In my old car, which was falling apart, I had to sit in the back away from everyone, it was cramped and not a nice experience. Now I can sit in the front, in-between the boys and be able to speak to the driver. It’s so much better practically and makes travel much more enjoyable,” Smoldon said.
The RFU IPF provides support and information to those who sustain a catastrophic injury as a result participating in rugby union, to empower them to lead as full and independent life as they are able to. The IPF also works with all stakeholders to reduce the risk of these and other injuries in the game.
“The IPF is a great charity and one I am exceptionally proud to be running for. I have known Ben for a number of years now and have seen first-hand how the IPF have helped him and his family and others like him,” Sigsworth said.
Those wishing to donate to Chris Sigworth’s London Marathon run for the IPF can do so at: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/chrissigsworth
Sigsworth runs London Marathon for IPF
- Latest Rugby Notices
- North Midlands Cup Competitions
- North Midlands Cup 2019/2020
- North Midlands Cup Plate 2019/2020
- NM Cup Previous Winners
- North Midlands Shield 2019/2020
- North Midlands Shield Plate 2019/2020
- NM Shield Previous Winners
- North Midlands Vase 2019/2020
- NM Vase Previous Winners
- North Midlands Vase Plate 2019/2020
- North Midlands Cup, Shield and Vase Competitions Archive
- Fixtures & Results
- North Midlands Junior Cup Competitions
- Club Directory
- Fixtures Exchange
- Policy & Procedure
- Competition Rules & Regulations
- National Clubs Association Regulations
- Midland Division Administrative Instructions/Rules
- Midlands Leagues Officials Directory
- North Midland 2nd Team League Rules
- North Midland RFU Cup Competition Rules
- North Midland RFU Shield Competition Rules
- North Midlands RFU Vase Competition Rules
- North Midland Youth Knockout Cup & Plate
- National & Intermediate Trophy
- Junior Clubs Knockout Competition
- North Midland Three Counties Championship Rules
- Useful Links & Documents
- Tours / Festivals / Cross Border details
- Under 17’s Archived